Based on the book, Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston, the pre-operative mind-body program includes guided visualization and deep relaxation to help one prepare for surgery. The program is jump-started with a 1-hour workshop led by a certified facilitator with instructions for practicing in the 2 weeks prior to surgery, immediately before surgery, and in the days recovering from surgery.
The pre-operative mind-body program is available for free to patients preparing for surgery at any of the Johns Hopkins health care facilities.
Studies on the use of this program have been shown to:
- Reduce anxiety in the days up until surgery and the morning of surgery to create peaceful feelings
- Reduce the use of pain medication by 23-50%
- Decrease nausea immediately after surgery
- Faster time to normal bladder and bowel function
- Accelerated recovery time leading to a shorter hospital stay
Individual and group sessions are available. Please contact Dr. Sheinberg at HealAtHopkins@jhmi.edu.